As the season of Lent begins, we are giving up things in our quest to be more like Him. What can we do without for “40 days” that shows a level of sacrifice? What can we do during this time to help us grow? I saw this on Facebook and made it my daily reading for Lent.
It’s 19 Things to Give Up for Lent that aren’t Chocolate:
1. Fear: God is on my side. In Him I am more than a conqueror. (See Romans 98)
2. The need to please everyone: I can’t please everyone anyway. There is only one I need to strive to please.
3. Envy: I am blessed. My value is not found in my possessions, but in my relationship with my Heavenly Father.
4. Impatience: God’s timing is the perfect timing.
5. Sense of entitlement: The world does not owe me anything. God does not owe me anything. I live in humility and grace.
6. Bitterness and Resentment: The only person I am hurting by holding onto these is myself.
7. Blame: I am not going to pass the buck. I will take responsibility for my actions.
8. Gossip and Negativity: I will put the best construction on everything when it comes to other people. I will also minimize my contact with people who are negative and toxic and bring other people down.
9. Comparison: I have my own unique contribution to make and there is no one else like me.
10. Fear of failure: You don’t succeed without experiencing failure. Just make sure you fall forward.
11. A spirit of poverty: Believe with God that there is always more than enough and never a lack.
12. Feelings of unworthiness: You are fearfully and wonderfully made by your creator. (see Psalm 139)
13. Doubt: Believe God has a plan for you that is beyond anything you could imagine. The future is brighter than you could ever realize.
14. Self-pity: God comforts us in our sorrow so that we can comfort others with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
15. Retirement: As long as you are still breathing, you are here for a reason. You have a purpose to influence others for Christ. That does not come to an end until the day we die.
16. Excuses: A wise man once said, if you need an excuse, any excuse will do.
17. Lack of counsel: Wise decisions are rarely made in a vacuum.
18. Pride: Blessed are the humble.
19. Worry: God is in control and worrying will not help.
My favorites are #1 and #19! What about you? Many blessings during this Lent season and beyond!
Sources: Daily Word